As the ‘Ultimate Resource for Everything Cerebral Palsy,’ our organization has a unique role in helping families. While we continue to build out our assistance (including a foundation dedicated to research and improving the future still to come!), one thing that we have found to be a consistent need for families nationwide is housing. Any family facing the challenges associated with a child with Cerebral Palsy or general special needs should never worry about a safe and comfortable roof over their head. However, this is sadly the case in far too many instances.
In order to combat this problem, we have placed a special focus on housing due to its unique and crucial status in the lives of any family, much less one that includes a child with Cerebral Palsy. As such, below is a summary of just some of the help we have available when it comes to housing assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us if any of the circumstances below match your situation, or if we can be of any help in the near future:
- Emergency Housing. If your family does not have a place to live, call us at (800) 692-4453(800) 692-4453 FREE immediately. We can connect you with resources specifically aimed at those facing a housing crisis – do not hesitate to find out how we can help if you’re facing an emergency housing assistance situation.
- Home Modifications. Not all housing assistance involves not having somewhere to live. Some families cannot afford to move or buy a different home, despite their child’s special needs. Our organization can help connect families with programs aimed at, for example, widening hallways for wheelchair accessibility, ramps and more.
- Rental Assistance. Options exist also for those who are looking to rent and are facing challenges.
- In-Home Assistance. As children get older, their bodies grow. Being able to pick up your child and move them about may no longer be an option as time wears on. Find out about housing assistance programs in your city and state by letting us know how we can help.
- Energy Bill Assistance. For many families, air conditioning is not a luxury but, instead, a necessity due to their child’s health. Additional costs can come from special equipment and electricity-based costs that can quickly pile up. If you are struggling to pay your energy bill, we can help connect you with assistance specifically aimed at lessening this burden.
Housing assistance isn’t the only way MyChild can help you and your family. For more information on the help we offer, don’t hesitate to contact us today and speak with a care team member whose goal is to enable your child’s future, and allow them to achieve their fullest potential.